Aquasprouts Garden Indoor Aquaponics System
Aquaponics refers to a group of techniques that expands on traditional hydroponics setups by adding a fish tank to the system. This allows the fish waste to be converted into nutrients to feed the plants, which together with the addition of bio filters, can effectively clean and filter the water so it can be recycled back into the system.
This, almost self-sustaining ecosystem provides many benefits over traditional grow setups. From ecological and financial advantages to numerous health benefits provided by the organic produce the system yields. Since most aquaponics systems essentially build upon existing hydroponics setups by adding components, you’d be forgiven for thinking they aren’t suitable for smaller spaces.
Fortunately, there are a number of compact all-in-one solutions designed for installation in tight spaces, many of these are created with aesthetics in mind, which makes them ideal as centerpieces in living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, hallways and lobbies, just like regular fish tanks.
About AquaSprouts Garden All-In-One Indoor Aquaponics System
AquaSprouts is a reputable company that makes a couple of all-in-one aquaponics solutions: the 10 Gallon Indoor Aquaponics System: AquaSprouts Garden, and the larger 29 Gallon Indoor Aquaponics: AquaSprouts Garden. This closed-loop system is almost self-sustaining, which, aside from monitoring levels and adjusting them when necessary, only requires the addition of fish food to sustain all life contained within.
“Not to feed you and your neighbors directly… But to feed minds and fuel curiosity"
That said, you will yield fruitful harvests from your AquaSprouts setup, and you’ll soon be enjoying one the main advantages of aquaponics; nurturing a thriving ecosystem that produces both edible plants and fish.
Aquaponicsfishsystem.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
What To Expect From The Aquasprouts Garden
Both models come as a complete set. That said, depending on your climate, the environment the system is setup, as well as the fish and plants you chose to grow, it’s likely you’ll need to purchase a few extra supplies to keep things safely in check. It’s extremely common to have to replace, and/or purchase additional parts to keep any aquaponics system operating at optimal levels. So don’t let this point put you off. If you find the AquaSprouts Gardens suitable for your needs, you can safe in the knowledge that it’s one of the, if not the, most complete off the shelf setups on the market.
Best Location For Your Aquasprouts Garden
The Aquasprouts Garden is an all-in-one aquaponics solution that utilizes the Media Based method to farm fish and plants in one neat-and-tidy system that looks good enough to function as the centerpiece of any room.
This aquatic farming technique combines aquaculture (raising fish) with hydroponics (growing plants in water without soil) to replicate a natural ecosystem in which waste produced by the fish provides the nutrients for the plants.
The all-in-one form factor of the AquaSprouts Garden makes it ideal to set up in any location where a suitable environment can be created for the species you’ve chosen to grow.
When it comes to finding the best location for your aquaponics system, there are several factors you’ll want to consider.
- Stable Level Surface: First, any media based system will require a strong and stable, level surface; it must strong enough to hold the weight of dozens of gallons of water as well as all the components, and it should be level as you won’t be leveraging gravity, so any incline will only make things more challenging.
- Accessibility: The system should also be accessible. Despite the closed-system being somewhat self-sustaining, ALL aquaponics setups require constant monitoring and maintenance; which means you’ll need to be able to reach each and every part for analysis, upkeep, and repairs should anything go wrong.
- Sun and Shade: The Aquasprouts system features a built-in light, effectively providing all the sunlight your plants and fish need. If you’re utilizing the power of the sun, be sure to orientate the setup with longest side on a north-to-south axis; this will maximize the amount of the sunlight the plants receive throughout the day.
Regardless of whether you’re using a light, or the sun, make sure you do not over expose your plants to harsh light. This may require you to raise the position of the lights, and/or build some form of shade to shield the plants.
- Temperature: This will largely govern whether or not you can set up outdoors, and either option will, in part, determine what species of plant and fish you choose to raise. Of course you’ll find options more varied if you’re indoor where temperature can be more easily controlled, but this doesn’t have to limit your option should you wish to set up outdoor (depending on your location in the world).
- Protection from the Elements: For those setting up indoor this factor isn’t applicable, however for those construction their media based aquaponics system outdoors, protection from the weather and other pollutants is extremely important. Greenhouse and outhouse can make for ideal solutions, since both provide protection similar to indoor spaces.
- Living Room: The AquasSprouts Garden was designed with aesthetics in mind. Comprised of both off the shelf and customizes parts, this setup not only looks great, but is also extremely easy to put together.
The system comes in two sizes, 10 or 29 gallon, both cover a similar a footprint that fits comfortable in any spacious room.
- Kitchen: Perhaps slightly more at home in the kitchen, the Aquasprouts Garden will be right at home in amongst where you prep your daily meals. With the plant trough position above the fish tank the system can double as an attractive, useful herb garden, as the fish keep onlooker mesmerized with their intriguing underwater lives.
- Dedicated Grow Room: No doubt the most practical solution for growing indoors. Dedicated rooms can be easily kitted out with effective temperature and humidity controls, and all this becomes much easier to monitor. You may have to sacrifice the number of times you’re able to show off your prize system to visitors, but it’s a minor compromise for better produce.
- Uncovered: This will be the most risky, most labor intensive location to setup, and most simply would advise against it. Any change in whether, especially with rain or snow, will require regular adjustments that will be crucial to the survival of the system. Instead, if outdoor is the only option, try opting for a covered area, green house or even outhouse, if you have access to them.
- Covered Area/Porch: The simplest solution to protect your aquaponics system outdoor. The AquaSprouts system may look great outdoor on the porch, and the durable components will ensure longevity, however, it’s likely you’ll get much better results, and much longer lifespan if the setup is placed indoor. That said, depending on location in the world, simply covering your setup can in many circumstances, offer all the protection the system needs, just be sure to regularly monitor levels since the setup will be more rish of contamination.
- Green House/Outhouse/Barn/Shed : The best solution for setting up aquaponics outdoor; although some may still consider it indoor, both still provide some, if not all the advantages of being outdoor, with the added bonus of being well shielded from the elements. You may begrudgingly hide away this attractive system in a typically unused room, but you’ll certinaly reap the benefits from the all-in-ones effective capability.
AquaSprouts Garden Key Features
10 Gallon AquaSprouts Garden
The 10 Gal. AquaSprouts Garden kit comes complete with all the components you need to get started. This includes:
- Pump: Submersible 160 gallon per hour pump
- Timer: Reliable mechanical plug timer; adjustable in 15-minute increments
- Light Bar: Removable/expandable lighting mount; mounts light in hanging positionabove the Garden
- 24″ LED Grow Light: 2ft, 2,640 lumen LED strip, brushed black aluminum heatsink housing; provides strong daylight-white light
- Submersible LED Light: Submersible light featuring long-lasting RGB LEDs; deliver full range of controllable color and intensity for subtle lighting effects or spectacular high-contrast living art. Remote & batteries included
- Grow-Bed: Custom-molded housing in black matte design; fits all standard 10-gallon aquariums
- Grow Media: Non-degrading Porous pebbles; supports plant roots, traps fish waste solids, provides spacious surface area for beneficial bacteria colonies
- Aqua Grow Plugs: 16 x grow plugs for seedlings & small cuttings; special formula that enhances the beneficial bacteria’s production of micronutrients to create a perfect environment for plants
- Natural Fish Food: 20 grams high quality 0.5mm extruded pellet; suitable for a variety of ornamental fish, all natural ingredients
- Natural Water Dechlorinator: 4 oz bottle of water dechlorinator created using a natural source of Vitamin C.; removes chlorine, breaks chlorine/ammonia bonds
AquaSprouts Garden Technical Specifications
10 Gallon Kit
29 Gallon Kit
- Dimensions: 28″ L, 8″ W (10″ with 10-gallon aquarium), and 17″ H (35″ H with light bar)
- Capacity: Standard 10-gallon aquarium approximately 20″ x 10″ x 12″
- Color: Matte black
- Material: Polypropylene plastic
- Configurations: Aquaponic (live fish)
- Pump & Plumbing: Adjustable depth flood-and-drain style grow bed controlled by a mechanical timer. 160 gallons per hour submersible pump (10 Watts/120V)
- Plant types: Grow houseplants and low-maintenance ornamentals anywhere; place in the sun or add a grow light and grow herbs, greens, and many small-statured fruits and vegetables
- Fish types: Many varieties of barbs, tetras, platies, mollies, guppies, danios, minnows, Corydoras and most other small freshwater fish
- Warranty: 1-year
- Dimensions: 31.5″ L, 10″ W (12″ with 29-gallon aquarium), and 25.6″ H (43″ H with light bar)
- Capacity: Standard 29-gallon aquarium approx. 30″ x 12″ x 18″ and approx. 10-gallon plant grow-bed
- Color: Blonde wood with natural variations
- Material: Birch wood coated with a protective layer to maintain its natural beauty and durability. Custom molded grow-bed made of black ABS plastic, and black powder-coated steel lighting mounts
- Configurations: Aquaponic (live fish)
- Pump & Plumbing: Adjustable depth flood-and-drain style grow-bed controlled by a Wi-Fi plug timer. 160 gallons per hour submersible pump (10 Watts/120V)
- Fish types: Same as 10 Gallon plus: goldfish, aquatic invertebrates (shrimp, crayfish, crabs) and most other ornamental freshwater fish
- Plant types: Grow houseplants and low-maintenance ornamentals: same as 10 Gallon plus.
- Warranty: 1-year
Conclusion: AquaSprouts Indoor Garden Aquaponics Review
When it comes to the best aquaponics system for beginners, one of the most suitable solutions might be an all-in-one indoor aquaponic garden. These kits come as complete as one can get and are designed to look great as the centerpiece of the living room, bedroom, kitchen or any other room of the home or office, whilst growing plants utilizing the natural process the occur in the system.
The AquaSprouts Gardens are some of the best, most comprehensive kits on the market. Not only do they look amazing, they’re easy to set up, monitor and maintain, there’s also a lot of opportunity to modify and custom the system to work more efficiently, or just to match the surrounding décor for aesthetics.